Brand Thunder has just entered a period where we’re not just leveraging a brand; we’re depending on it to overcome a potential barrier to entry with the end user.
Brand Thunder launched its first full bundle that includes our custom themes plus a full internet browser. Early data shows this full bundle is converting half as well as our custom theme alone. Our previous installation flow had users landing on a marketing page and then proceeding to download the custom theme if they were using Firefox, or to go and install Firefox first before returning to the marketing page – a less than ideal flow. Now, either user (Firefox or non-Firefox user) can proceed directly with the download from the marketing page.
The difference in scenarios is fairly significant. One is a light weight add-on to the Firefox browser, of which many Firefox users are familiar. The other is a full installation of the Mozilla browser (same code as Firefox, but we’re not allowed to call it that) plus the custom theme and functionality extensions and represents trial of an entirely new internet browser. We recognized accepting the full bundle would be a matter of trust for the consumers.
These are people who haven’t adopted Firefox through other channels, are trusting that Mozilla is the same code as Firefox like we say (it is), and trust the brand offering the bundle is going to do the right thing for their audience (they are). But talk about a barrier to entry.
Given these psychological hurdles, the fact that the full bundle converts half as well as the Firefox custom themes is outstanding. That’s the power of trust. That’s the power of the brand and why brand marketers go to great lengths to protect their brand. And why those of us entrusted with representing the brand have a duty and obligation in upholding the qualities of that brand.
We are striving to do so, and the early data suggests we are benefiting from that trust.
It’s been a little over a year since we launched our first custom browser theme for the NHL’s Washington Capitals. That tenure has given us a solid data pool from which to compile our first case study, which will be made available via our website as a lead generation tool. (For our blog readers, you can secure yours now simply by giving us your name, title, company, phone number and email address on our Contact Us page – as close to free as you can get, but yes, you’ll hear from us for a short follow up). Note: The commercial portion of this blog post has now ended.
We don’t want to give away all the facts that are found in the case study, but one that we’re proud of is we doubled the penetration of Firefox usage on the Capitals web site. OK, we’ll give Firefox its due since it saw 40% growth over that period of time (growing from 16% to 19% over the time frame analyzed). Even giving Firefox credit for a 40% lift, that still leaves 60% that looks an awful lot like Brand Thunder contribution.
While Firefox penetration is not the goal of our program, what it indicates is a user’s willingness to overcome the hurdle of acquiring another browser to get the Capitals custom browser theme and that a compelling product can reach beyond the boundaries of your site and reach a new user. It also demonstrates a growing audience that has a persistent online connection with the Capitals. And that ongoing connection to the fan is the goal.
Playing baseball in my youth, I was told to get back to basics when my hitting was off. It meant stop all the unnecessary things I was doing when I got up to bat, and instead refocus on the stance, bat position and keeping my eye on the ball. I’m finding the same refocus necessary in this start up.
The core items we focus on at Brand Thunder are:
• Telling our story – building awareness to our prospects and clients
• Selling our product – the calls, emails and contracts to actually sign a partner
• Developing our technology – process and implementation improvements for a sustainable and scalable business
The past five weeks have seen a total rework of all prior custom browser themes for compatibility with Firefox 3, the launch of four new clients (with a fifth coming any day) and the inclusion of a key business model component. And, all are vital to our business. But now that the rush is over, rather than relax, enjoy and get distracted – we’re refocusing on the basics. Doing the fundamental things necessary to build this business and keep doing it until the next rush of work hits, and it starts with picking up the phone.
If you have business fundamentals that you find valuable, we’d love to hear them – especially if you feel their applicable to our efforts. Post the comments here, or you’re always welcome to give us a call.